divendres, 21 de novembre del 2014

WORD CLASS: CLITICS, FORMS

1. Clitics are probably the most complex category of word classes in Catalan, since they change their form (allographs) depending on the consonant environment (i.e. the consonant they are surrounded by). Some clitics may present up to four different forms, which are usually named as follows:

1) Full form (I), post-verbal: the consonant is followed by a vowel, like me. This form is used after a consonant or a diphthong.
2) Reinforced form (II), pre-verbal: the vowel is followed by a consonant, like em. This form is used post-verbal before a consonant.
3) Elided form (III), pre-verbal: it is form I with the vowel elided: m’. This form is used before a consonant.
4) Reduced form (IV), post-verbal: it is form II with the vowel elided as well: ‘m. This form is used after a consonant.

Shown in a different way:


PRE-VERBAL
POST-VERBAL
VOWEL CONTEXT
CONSONANT CONTEXT
me
+
+
em
+
+
m’
+
+
‘m
+
+


2. Accordingly the whole system of Catalan clitics offers these forms:

FORM
I
FORM
II
FORM III
FORM IV
English equivalent
me
em
m'
'm
me
te
et
t'
't
you (singular: thee)
se
es
s'
's
himself, herself
lo
el
l'
'l
him, it
la
l'
(la)
her, it
los
els
(los)
'ls
them (masc.)
les
them (fem.)
ne
en
n'
'n
of it
ho
it
li
him, her (dative)
hi
in it, at it, to it
nos
ens
'ns
us
vos
us
(vos)
(us)
you (plural)

The forms between brackets are used because there is no reduced or elicited form.

Observe these examples where some of the clitics are combined:

1) Clitic me:

em dius on eres?
will you tell me where you were?
el pa m’agrada molt
I like bread very much
expliqueu-me això
explain that to me (plural)
expliqui’m això
explain that to me (formal)   

2) Clitic el

Ara no el veig ací
I don’t see him here
mira’l com camina
look (at him) how he walks
l’he visitat aquest matí
I’ve paid him a visit
porteu-lo al carrer
take him to the street

3. Post-verbal clitics are to be found after infinitive, gerund and imperative tenses. Otherwise, Catalan places clitics before the verb, like Spanish and Italian, but unlike European Portuguese.

no sé explicar-ho
I can’t explain it
fent-ho així, no serà fàcil
by doing so, it’ll be easy
compra-ho ara
buy it now
ho sé molt bé
I know it quite well

In that case, such as it can be seen in the previous examples, the clitic is joined to the verb by means of a hyphen. Two post-verbal clitics placed together will require two hyphens:

(a) la camisa, renta-te-la
as for your shirt, clean it up
(a) les ulleres, compra-me-les
as for the glasses, buy them to me


4. Clitics get combined (for example, accusative + dative). The whole table of clitics combinations according to the four forms is as follows:

EM
ET
EL
LA
HO
LI
ES
HI
EN
ENS
US
ELS
LES
EM
me l'
me'l
-me'l
-me'l
me l'
me la
-me-la
-me-la
m'ho
m'ho
-m'ho
-m'ho
me li
me li
-me-li
-me-li
m'hi
m'hi
-m'hi
-m'hi
me n'
me'n
-me'n
-me'n
me'ls
me'ls
-me'ls
-me'ls
me les
me les
-me-les
-me-les
ET
te l'
te'l
-te'l
-te'l
te l'
te la
-te-la
-te-la
t'ho
t'ho
-t'ho
-t'ho
te li
te li
-te-li
-te-li
t'hi
t'hi
-t'hi
-t'hi
te n'
te'n
-te'n
-te'n
te'ns
te'ns
-te'ns
-te'ns
te'ls
te'ls
-te'ls
-te'ls
te les
te les
-te-les
-te-les
EL
l'hi
l'hi
-l'hi
-l'hi
el n'
l'en
-l'en
-l'en
LA
la hi
la hi
-la-hi
-la-hi
la n'
la'n
-la'n
-la'n
HO
LI
m'hi
m'hi
-m'hi
-m'hi
t'hi
t'hi
-t'hi
-t'hi
l'hi
l'hi
-l'hi
-l'hi
la hi
la hi
-la-hi
-la-hi
li ho
li ho
-li-ho
-li-ho
li hi
li hi
-li-hi
-li-hi
li n'
li'n
-li'n
-li'n
els hi
els hi
'ls-hi
-los-hi
les hi
les hi
-les-hi
-les-hi
ES
se m'
se'm
-se'm
-se'm
se t'
se't
-se't
-se't
se l'
se'l
-se'l
-se'l
se l'
se la
-se-la
-se-la
s'ho
s'ho
-s'ho
-s'ho
se li
se li
-se-li
-se-li
s'hi
s'hi
-s'hi
-s'hi
se n'
se'n
-se'n
-se'n
se'ns
se'ns
-se'ns
-se'ns
se us
se us
-se-us
-se-us
se 'ls
se'ls
-se'ls
-se'ls
se les
se les
-se-les
-se-les
HI
EN
n'hi
n'hi
-n'hi
-n'hi
ENS
ens l'
ens el
'ns-el
-nos-el
ens l'
ens la
'ns-la
-nos-la
ens ho
ens ho
'ns-ho
-nos-ho
ens li
ens li
'ns-li
-nos-li
ens hi
ens hi
'ns-hi
-nos-hi
ens n'
ens en
'ns-en
-nos-en
ens els
ens els
'ns-els
-nos-els
ens les
ens les
'ns-les
-nos-les
US
us m'
us em
-us-em
-vos-em
us l'
us el
-us-el
-vos-el
us la
us la
-us-la
-vos-la
us ho
us ho
-us-ho
-vos-ho
us li
us li
-us-li
-vos-li
us hi
us hi
-us-hi
-vos-hi
us n'
us en
-us-en
-vos-en
us ens
us ens
-us-ens
-vos-ens
us els
us els
-us-els
-vos-els
us les
us les
-us-les
-vos-les
ELS
me'ls
me'ls
-me'ls
-me'ls
te'ls
te'ls
-te'ls
-te'ls
els l'
els el
'ls-el
-los-el
els l'
els la
'ls-la
-los-la
els ho
els ho
'ls ho
-los-ho
els hi
els hi
'ls-hi
-los-hi
els n'
els en
'ls-en
-los-en
ens els
ens els
'ns-els
-nos-els
us els
us els
-vos-els
-vos-els
els els
els els
'ls-els
-los-els
els les
els les
'ls-les
-los-les
LES
les hi
les hi
-les-hi
-les-hi
les n'
les en
-les-en
-les-en



Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada